Type of Biting Insects you Might Find in Your Home
Few things are worse than biting insects, especially while you are home. The sad truth is that there are many insects that will bite and many that may take up residence in your home. Spiders, while not insects, are a good example as are fleas. So, which insects should you be on the lookout for around Bryan, Texas? Here is our short list.
- Fleas and Ticks – Fleas are everywhere and even with pet treatments, fleas can find their way into your home. Usually because they hatch outdoors and then we bring them on our clothing. Ticks are another biting organism that we find in homes. Mostly, they come in on pets, but we can also bring them in on clothing.
- Ants – There are many, many species of ants in Texas and each has a biting mouth. Ants will not only bite you the females will sting you. Yes, ants are related to wasps and bees. Some ants, like the Fire Ant, really let you know you’ve been bitten or stung.
- Flies and Mosquitoes – Nothing keeps you up at night like a mosquito in the house. Mosquitoes are a species of fly and most flies do not bite. I deer fly or horse fly is among the worst biting insect around Texas and once you’ve been bitten by one, you won’t soon forget.
- Beetles – One of the characteristics that define a beetle is its biting, chewing mouth. Generally, beetles are not biters, but they do bite when defending themselves. A beetle bit can be a painful pinch and some of them can break the skin.
- Hemipterans – Sticking bugs, assassin bugs, and Ambush bugs are all examples of hemipterans. These insects have a piercing sucking mouthpart, much like a straw. They jab it into a plant or other insects and then extract the juices. When they bite a human, it is very painful, and the bite area can swell up many times larger than its normal size.
Non-insects that bite
We’ve mentioned the spiders and Texas has a few that are medically concerning, but most spider bites are painful, and that pain can last for a few days or in the case of the black widow or brown recluse, for several months or more. Centipedes, which are not insects can issue a painful bit and sting. Most centipedes have venom and those that don’t produce a very painful bite. In general, an organism that is brightly colored is telling you that the risk of being bitten or stung is dangerous. One of the most potent stings on the plant comes from the Bullet Ant whose bite is said to feel like a bullet is slowly inching its way through your flesh.
Biting and stinging are bad. So, how do you help keep your home safe from insects and pests that bite? We offer an affordable monthly service plan that helps keep your yard and home pest-free. Why a yearly plan? Every month some new form of pest emerges and the controls that countered the last pests usually don’t work on the new ones. Give us a call. Our professionals are happy to answer your questions.