Pests That Bring Down Your Property Value
Pests that Bring Down Your Property Value
Surprisingly, maybe, is the fact that some pests can bring down the value of your home or business. This occurs usually through extensive damage or a higher cost of pest removal. Which pests fit this bill? Just keep reading.
- Ground Squirrels – potentially one of the most destructive pests to homes and business. These are ground dwelling rodents that can ruin your foundation, driveways, and patios. It is their large network of tunnels that causes homes and businesses to become unstable. If left long enough they can even bring down bridges and larger objects.
- Cockroaches – Disgusting insects that eat dead things. Cockroaches in a home can turn away potential buyers – even in the cleanest home. Getting rid of cockroaches is not difficult for a professional pest control company, but for home buyers, the idea of a home having roaches is extremely negative.
- Termites – well-known for damage to the structural support of homes and buildings. Termites eat wood and cause support beams to become weakened and bearing walls to lose stability. This is one of the most well documented and expensive pests to home and property owners. The annual cost for repair of termite damage is $5 Billion – That means across the nation homeowners pay collectively pay $5 Billion to repair the damage of these chewing insects.
- Bed Bugs – These nasty little bugs do not damage home, but they prey on humans. The cost of getting rid of bed bugs can range from $2,000 to $12,000 for a single-family home. Not only is it costly, if you sell your home and cannot verify that there were no bed bugs, the new owner can potentially sue you for damages.
- Carpenter Ants – These are on par with termites as they often attack the thicker support beams of a home’s foundation. They do not eat the wood. Instead, they chew holes in it to make a home. The problem is that as they remove wood, they weaken the beams that hold up your home.
- Carpenter Bees – Perhaps that least damaging of pest insects are carpenter bees. They burrow into wood to make galleries where they lay eggs and store food. Usually they target exposed wood, such as a new deck or fence. Still, a new fence can cost thousands of dollars.
As mentioned, in some cases new property owners can sue for damages for undisclosed pests. That is a situation that has been on the rise for bed bugs, and why most lenders require a termite inspection. To fully understand the cost of pest infestations, talk with your realtor. To find out if you have a pest infestation of bed bugs, termites, carpenter ants, carpenter bees, or ground squirrels just give us a call. We offer home inspections and we work with realtors, homeowners, sellers, and buyers.
Learn more about pest control and ongoing pest control services by reaching out to our professionals. We offer a vast amount of experience, affordable rates, and the knowledge to remove pests on the first try.